Once your child starts moving all bets are off! With their new found skills they start exploring anything and everything. And of course this includes opening up all the drawers and cabinets they can find.
While we’d like to encourage our babies to explore their world, we also want to protect them. The following cabinet locks are great options to keep those little ones safe and out of trouble.
Invisible Cabinet Locks
The Purple Safety magnetic baby locks win our “Editor’s Choice” category! These locks come in a set of eight and are a super affordable and easy way to baby proof your cabinet doors and drawers. The magnetic locks can be installed on your cabinets in a matter of minutes without any tools! You also don’t need to worry about ruining your cabinets with screws because these baby locks use adhesive to attach to the cabinets and can be easily removed once your child is older.
Magnetic cabinet locks are a fairly new baby proofing item on the market. And what we love most, is that these latches work great! Plastic push down locks that we used previously were not necessarily “baby proof”. Our children figured out how to unlock those latches immediately. But these magnetic locks are cleverly designed to require a magnet to unlock the cabinets. After all the parts are installed on your cabinets, to open the door you hold a magnetic key close to the cabinet door. A lever inside the lock will release allowing you to open the cabinet.
Just make sure you let any guests or babysitters know about these locks! Since they are completely invisible from the outside. No one will even know that your cabinets are baby proofed. And if someone doesn’t know about the magnetic key to unlock the cabinet they can be adult proof as well!
- Comes in a set of 8 locks with 2 magnetic keys
- The magnetic key works on 1.5 inches thick cabinet door or drawer
Why we love it
- Easy install with adhesive backing, no need to drill into your cabinet.
- Invisible from outside! No one needs to see your baby proofing.
- 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee
- Need to make sure you have a lip on the underside of your cabinet for the latch to be installed on.
- You will need to use a magnet every time you’d like to open up a cabinet with a lock on it
- You will need to “train” guests on how to open the cabinets
No Fuss Cabinet Lock
Another easy option to baby proof your cabinet doors is with a sliding lock by Safety 1st. We recommend these locks to parents who are unable to use the magnetic locks on their cabinets. The sliding locks wrap around cabinet knobs. Or they can also be looped through cabinet pulls.
There are other versions of this lock but we prefer this sliding style the best. It works with cabinet knobs that are very close together to about 4.75″ apart giving you lots of flexibility. Plus you only need one hand to release the latch which is nice for parents who constantly have their hands full.
- Fits on both cabinet knobs and handle pulls up to 4.75″ apart
Why we love it
- Quick installation over cabinet knobs and pulls
- Decoy button on front can be pushed by child, with no effect
- One handed release
- You will need to slide the latch on and off to open cabinets
- Baby proofing will be visible
Last update on 2019-01-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API